SUMMARY: Working closely with the BSO Choral Director and Conductor of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, this position oversees the Choral Department of the BSO, including management of the Tanglewood Festival Chorus (TFC), the Boston Symphony Children’s Choir (BSCC), and any additional BSO choral ensembles or activities. This position is the principal representative of the Choral Department at inter-departmental BSO meetings and with relevant external organizations.
- Oversee the BSO Choral Department
- Assist the BSO Choral Director in:
- Recruiting and auditioning new members of the TFC and BSCC, with particular focus on broadening the diversity of membership of each ensemble
- Setting the rosters of singers for the season’s activities
- Developing rehearsal schedules and securing suitable rehearsal spaces
- Engaging rehearsal pianists, substitute conductors, and diction coaches as needed
- Administrative tasks, including correspondence, library requests, score procurement, and the creation/acquisition of singer resources (translations, pronunciation guides, etc.)
- Work with BSO and Pops Artistic Administrators and the production staff to realize the choral programming for each concert season (BSO Winter Season, Holiday Pops, Spring Pops, and Tanglewood), as well as any special events including July 4th performances, galas, special engagements, memorial services, fundraising events, etc.
- Develop and manage the BSO Choral Department budget. Track budget throughout the fiscal year and re-forecast as needed; process all payments
- Communicate with the TFC and BSCC on significant issues, including schedules, season announcements and press releases, health and safety/emergency protocols, policies and procedures, etc.
- Oversee chorus rehearsals and do concert duty, as needed. Nighttime and weekend work is required.
- Plan and manage any long-term and/or special choral projects beyond those featuring the TFC or BSCC, in conjunction with the BSO Choral Director and other BSO departments, as needed
- Plan, oversee, and manage TFC and BSCC tours and Tanglewood residencies, including housing and accommodations, transportation, meals, and per diems
- Be conversant with and help implement best practices in relation to the pastoral care of the BSCC, and of the TFC, as needed.
- Act as the principal liaison between the Choral Department and chorus committees, including the TFC Committee. Engage committees in planning and communication, regularly attend meetings and follow-up on issues, and help maintain a productive relationship between the committees and BSO Management, with special emphasis on recruiting new members to the BSO choral ensembles.
- Assist with the development and management of an alumni singer program, working with other BSO departments and chorus committees
- Assist with the planning and coordination of the Winter Season and Tanglewood TFC parties including catering, entertainment, invitations, and speeches with the Chorus Committee leadership
- Supervise guest chorus appearances with the BSO
Five plus years of work experience in a performing arts organization, preferably managing a chorus. Knowledge of the American choral scene is essential.
Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. Self-starter with proven ability to manage projects from start to completion. Very strong attention to detail, and ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work under pressure and with deadlines.
Very strong people skills necessary, with particular ability to work effectively with volunteer groups. Must be comfortable addressing large groups of TFC members, BSCC members and parents, and guest singers and collaborators.
Ability to explore new partnerships and collaborations is essential.
Very strong computer skills necessary, including experience with tools such as online survey platforms, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and any customized scheduling software. Experience working with children – and the protocols for such – is preferred. Knowledge of and passion for classical music, and ability to read music, is preferred.
This position requires part-time relocation to Tanglewood during July and August months.
Equal Opportunity Employer!
APPLY HERE NOW!!