JOB TITLE: Director of Communications and Donor Engagement
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Classification: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
The Director of Communications and Donor Engagement oversees, creates and manages effective communication strategies for all constituents and stakeholders at Des Moines Metro Opera. This Director serves as both a content creator and project manager, overseeing a portfolio of projects, including general communications materials and collateral, newsletters, donor event materials, donor stewardship projects, donor acknowledgment letters, emails, etc. Working closely with the Director of Advancement and other advancement staff, the Director of Communications and Donor Engagement will ensure that materials reflect brand standards and meet the needs of the intended constituents and implement donor communication strategies, telling the story of DMMO and helping to articulate new and existing ways to work in the community. As the company’s chief storyteller, the successful candidate will recognize opportunities for a story that will connect stakeholders to the company and understand the best media with which to tell the story, deepening connections with loyal audience members.
The Director of Communications and Donor Engagement is further responsible for realizing revenue streams to support DMMO’s artistic and community programming through implementing and overseeing the corporate and foundation institutional giving program in keeping with the overall mission of the Company. This position will also serve as the facilitator for special events and event planning at DMMO, executing major fundraising and cultivation events in conjunction with the Director of Advancement and development staff.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and background in the arts and fundraising and will focus on growth through communication and stewardship for all stakeholders at DMMO. This candidate will enjoy connecting with DMMO patrons and donors regularly, building new relationships, and will be organized with exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote an inclusive, respectful and compassionate working environment that prioritizes the Company’s values towards equity, diversity and inclusivity.
- Articulate the company’s public relations and fundraising priorities and stewardship goals to creative partners to ensure donor and public materials reflect the company’s overall strategy and identity.
- Serve as peer liaison within advancement area between development and marketing staff
- Work with all areas of the company to increase awareness of DMMO, its programs, performances, and values; grow relationships with stakeholders and influencers; and bolsters the reputation of the company while communicating a fuller story to build excitement about the work of the company.
- Serve as the central conduit for DMMO information, comprised of all activities as they develop at the company and coordinating the dissemination of materials from across the company
- Identify press opportunities and monitor media mentions.
- Serve as project manager, overseeing the timely production and delivery of creative materials including Vivace, E-newsletters, and the company’s programs.
- Manage content calendars for donor communications and stewardship touches, social media plans, and public relations.
- Provide writing and editing support for development-related materials and company communications, including proposals; stewardship reports; annual fund appeals; and company newsletters and marketing materials.
- Track, measure and analyze results for various communication strategies.
- Institutional Giving – Corporate and Foundation
- Reliably manage corporate and foundation grant deadlines and reporting; prepare and submit proposals on a timely basis to the corporate and foundation funding sources to generate revenue.
- Prepare and maintain an annual schedule of submissions and reports due for corporate giving with careful attention to deadlines while researching, soliciting and cultivating new streams of revenue and funding from new corporate partners and national foundations.
- Special Events Facilitation
- Promote and share the mission of Des Moines Metro Opera through arranging, planning, promoting and executing all special fundraising, cultivation and stewardship events for the Company, including special events associated with the Company’s 50th Anniversary campaign.
- Prepare and oversee general operations for special events including cultivating and maintaining vendor relationships and strategic planning for annual events calendar.
- Strong written communication skills and the ability to write for print, web and social media. Proven ability to translate complex concepts into crisp, accessible language, especially suitable for donor communications.
- BA in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or related field is required with at least 5 to 7 years of communications or marketing experience required. Proven success in developing communications plans and strategies.
- Deep understanding of the development process for cultivating and stewarding major donors – ideally foundations and corporate offices.
- Strong storytelling ability – communicated via words, presentations, proposals, videos and more.
- Be self-motivated and an independent thinker who consistently meets deadlines, resolves conflicting priorities, and has outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly organized and have ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative and an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and achieve results.
- Ability to work evening and weekend events.
- Flexibility and solution-oriented focus.
- Strong digital skills; experience with website analytics tools, knowledge of HTML, and Salesforce/PatronManager or Tessitura a plus.
- Residency in Des Moines, IA metro area. A relocation stipend will be offered if needed.
This position involves moderate work with lifting or moving of up to 30 pounds occasionally and sitting or standing for long periods of time. The position requires ability to use computer equipment, manual dexterity, and the ability to communicate verbally and in written word. This position requires long hours and a flexible work schedule in support of a performance schedule and special events.
Competitive health, life, disability, and retirement plan, and generous PTO. Salary range is $58,000-$65,000 dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Equal Opportunity Employer!
APPLY HERE NOW!!