UC San Diego
COMMUNICATIONS AND PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER
Filing Deadline: Tue 9/14/2021
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000 / Year
UC San Diego Extension is fully self-supporting, operating year-round (12 months of active instruction) with a budget of $47 million annually in primarily fee income. The unit has over 200 career employees, including academic, management, staff and executive, as well as represented and non-represented positions. Many casual or contract employees and student workers also serve in the organization. In addition, Extension employs more than 1,000 active by-agreement instructors.
Extension operates in 200,000 square feet of managed space, including a large off-campus classroom facility. The unit maintains a robust online learning platform, operating 24/7 with web-casting and video-conferencing capability. Extension also has a strong web presence with e-commerce operating 24/7. There are over 60,000 enrollment transactions annually; 35,000 outreach certification transactions and 25,000 service transactions. Extension supports a robust network of representatives, agents, and students (both residential and online) around the globe. Along with all of this, Extension operates two television stations, a variety of public lecture programs and is active in federal, state, local, and private research and technical assistance programs and activities.
As of Fall 2020, the University has assumed ownership of a major downtown center for which Extension is taking full financial and programming responsibility. The 66,000-square-foot building will support a rich mix of campus-based and community programs reflecting the teaching, research and public service mission of UC San Diego: classroom instruction, continuing education, arts and cultural performances, civic events and collaborative community projects.
The Communications and Public Relations Manager oversees a comprehensive communications program for UCSD Extension with moderately complex communications requirements. The communications program includes written, visual, digital, and electronic inclusive communications that spotlight UCSD Extension to diverse audiences. The position reports to the Director of Marketing and Business Development and is responsible for the development and execution of organizational communication. Designs and implements information campaigns.
Serves as a communications and media relations professional for all of UC San Diego Extension. Provides the full range of communications services under the direction of Director, Marketing and Business Development. Develops socially conscious and inclusive communications strategies in coordination with the Dean’s Office and Marketing and in sync with Campus branding and Extension-wide programs.
Creates and implements strategic communications plans that support internal and external communications across multiple levels and channels of the organization, including campus and key stakeholders, internal constituents, and members of the media. Identifies and engages with media outlets that have been underutilized to expand access to information about UCSD Extension. Performs a wide range of duties in the following areas: communications, public relations, media relations, editing, writing and scheduling features for various university and external publications, issues management, speech writing, community outreach, marketing plans and implementation, social media, and special events. Works and collaborates regularly with other senior staff to shape, create, and develop external and internal institutional relations objectives and positions. Emphasis is on maintaining excellent relations with Campus and Extension academics and staff as well as local, regional, national and international news media to create a content rich experience. This includes story pitches, and proactively seeking and tracking media placements.
• Evening and weekend work occasionally required.
• Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Demonstrated experience in creating executive level communications, content strategies, and deliverables to position Extension as a thought leader in the marketplace and among key stakeholders.
• Experience using all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
• Experience creating, developing, and implementing comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans. Demonstrated experience driving organization change messaging, including strategies to support change and transition plans and programs to help support overall business strategy.
• Demonstrated experience creating media relations, community relations, and issues management communication plans for local, regional, national, and international markets.
• Experience advising and consulting with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and / or broad general audiences. Demonstrated experience in analyzing change management needs and creating/implementing communications plans around change management and organizational change.
• Demonstrated experience integrating public relations with marketing campaigns to align and leverage an omni-channel strategy and creating and securing feature articles, marketing collateral, news releases, pitches, media advisories, talking points, statements and other marketing communications materials to promote campaigns, activities, programs, and events.
• Knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively direct technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
• Knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and / or health sciences.
• Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
• Knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
• Job offer is contingent upon satisfactory clearance based on Background Check results.
• Duties may require direct contact with children (defined as individuals under the age of 18); completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) training and form will be required.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce. Click here for Details – https://employment.ucsd.edu/benefits
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
Equal Opportunity Employer!
APPLY HERE NOW!!